Thursday, June 19, 2008

Tempers Flare

Sorry darling for taking your name.

Well needless to say my temper has gone through the roof. Yesterday my folks and I were talking about disciplining children. There was currently a piece in the newspaper where a young girl took her father to court cause he removed her internet access and forbade her going on a school trip because she had used her friends computer to take videos of herself posing inappropriately and putting them online. The judge in this case ruled in favour of the young girl. This sparked our discussion on how the way we are disciplining our kids is slowly being taken out of our hands. I mentioned how soon the govt would say we can't smack our children. My father replies that a judge has set a precedence that we as parents have a right to smack our children. Now keep in mind I say smack not beat. I am sure many of us received a smack as a kid and are none the worse for wear.

What do I see in the newspaper today?? Exactly what I had said.. The govt' is planning to pass a law dictating the only circumstances where you can use force on your kids. I am in the process of writing to my member of Parliament exactly what I think of this law. If my child deserves a smack on the butt he/she will get it. As it is children are out of control today, they have so much power. It's really disheartening.

No comments: