Thursday, May 29, 2008

My dogs

I am an animal lover, I have two dogs that I absolutely adore. Sasha is my 8 year old black lab/border collie cross, she's calm and very ladylike so much so I call her my princess. Baxter is my 6 year old black lab/german shepherd/husky mix, he's my devil everything sasha is he's the opposite. She'll lay there waiting for you to pay attention to her, he will let you know precisely when he's had enough of being ignored or when he want's his cookies.

They've had to go through some changes over the past 5 years since I met my husband. They used to have my full attention now they don't get as much. They use to share my bed with me now they aren't allowed in the bedroom, we've even started keeping them out of my stepdaughters bedroom when she is not there.

Through all of this they remain faithful and loving to me. recently Sasha tore a ligament in her knee, I've been told that it will heal from some and from others it will never heal unless I have surgery done. Obviously the vets want me to do the surgery, however as much as I adore my dogs I can't justify spending 4 thousand on a surgery for her. Does that make me a bad owner? Somedays I think yes.

My husband and I are both allergic to them, I chose to have them before my wonderful husband came into the picture so for me he puts up with the sniffles, the dog hair, the drool. Sometimes I try to imagine what it would be like without them, I know life would be easier but I know my heart would miss them. What I do know is after they are gone, I won't be replacing them. They are at the moment my babies.

1 comment:

Leedra said...

The animal lovers will chew me up and spit me out for this one, but....I think to spend $4000 on a dog is outrageous. I have better things to spend my money on, like camera equipment.:)